Sunday, August 10, 2008

Observational Electrolyte Test Series Summary

The Observational Electrolyte Test Series was intended to provide a body of work where the electrolytes were subjected to cooking, mostly by way of just two plates. The results were then observed and recorded. The primary intent was to observe particulate and scum formation along with additional data as it was observed. While I attempted an observational assessment of gas production, it was not a parameter or goal of the test.

To date I've tested the following electrolytes.

  • Potassium Hydroxide (KOH)
  • Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH)
  • Vinegar(CH3COOH)
  • CLR (Calcium, Lime & Rust Cleaner, proprietary mix)
  • Baking Soda (NaHCO3)
  • Baking Soda/Vinegar (NaHCO3/CH3COOH)
  • Magnesium Sulfate (MgSO4·7H2O)
  • Sea Salt/Sodium Silicate (NaCl)
  • Calcium Hydroxide (CaOH)
  • Ferrous Sulfate (FeSO4·H2O)
  • Borax (Na2B4O7·10H2O)
  • Kool-Aid (Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, others)

I note that for the purposes of this test, there were three classifications of effect and two that I recorded. Particulate is the formation of solids in the electrolyte, usually brown. Particulate usually settles on the bottom after testing with the exception of vinegar. Scum is the formation of a surface viscus mass that interferes with bubbles bursting. Scum does not seem to have a color of it's own and usually dissolves back into the water within a few minutes of electrolysis. Foam is similar to scum in the interference of bubble bursting, but without direct observation of a substance on the surface. Foam usually lingers on the surface for awhile after electrolysis. Foam measurements were not taken, but foam formation did cause me to abort the CLR test.

I determined early on that using distilled water or reverse osmosis purified water has by far the least effect on particulate formation. This in turn causes me to assert that ordinary tap water with high mineral content should be avoided when performing electrolysis. Softened water is also better than plain tap water, but is still second to distilled or reverse osmosis purified water.

Despite some inconsistencies in the tests these are the results. I may add tests to this series but felt there was enough of a body of work to produce a summary.

I also note that compounds containing Magnesium or Calcium should be avoided as they leave hard water deposits on the container and plates.

NOTE: Wear hearing protection when igniting a foam buildup!!! Igniting foam makes a sound at least as loud as a high caliber rifle or shotgun.


Anonymous said...

Observational Chart well suited for those interested in building/using hydroxy units and the various pros & cons of known catalst agents. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Okay, after reading the chart and other data compiled on your test of metals and how they interact with different electrolytes I now understand about the red particulate problem, which I had prematurely commented on, on at least one occasion.

I was looking at the results with respect to NaOH and stainless steel. As I am new to the HHO scene, I never thought to consider that your experiments where based on a broad range of electrolytes and metals. I simply assumed that you were talking about the above mentioned chemicals and metals.

Forgive me for being so presumptuous. Anyway, I now understand after reading your “…Test Series Summary” dated August 22, 2008 exactly what was going on and how off base I was in my comment. My apologies please!
And also to any of those I may have confused, please read this document.

In respect to the plates I used in constructing my cell they were 304SS from Lowes, and I was using NaOH in the form of Rooto Crystals purchased at Ace Hardware.

I would also like to point out to those that I was building the “Smack’s Booster” trying to keep it to exact specification as set out in Panacea University publication on the subject.

I inadvertently stepped out of the construction guidelines in preparing my plates buy using dawn dishing washing soap, white vinegar and distilled water as cleaning agents. This happened because I had previously watched many cells made using baking soda as a electrolyte and this is what this individual did in cleaning his plates for that purpose.

I had read so much about this method that I inadvertently ignored the procedure mandated by the designer of the “Smack’s Booster.” So there lies my confusion. However, no matter what; it still seems to be a great method IMO for this particular set of materials, and I have had great results. So I have stuck with it up to the point of seasoning the cells in NaOH.

I hope this clears up any comments I have made in the past regarding the subject and also most importantly my comments regarding Charlie Ehler and his experiment as stated above.