Friday, June 13, 2008

Buying the Electrolyte

I know from experience that regular table salt will work as an electrolyte, but didn't know using it for electrolysis of water also produces Chlorine Gas. Yikes!

I did some poking around and discovered folks are using Potassium Hydroxide (KOH) or Caustic Potash as an electrolyte. The folks at the Smacks Booster Site recommended Summer Bee Meadow and then choose the "Hydroxide Alkalies" button to begin the purchasing sequence.

The web site will require a statement of acceptance of all responsibility which includes attesting to be at least 18 years old. I guess that means "use with adult supervision only".

Motoring on, I ordered the 32oz bottle(the smallest amount they sell) and thus begins the HHO money pit!

UPDATE: I go on to learn a quite a bit about electrolytes as you will see in the following articles.

Electrolyte & Electrolyte Testing Articles


Next: Common Electrolytes Examined
Previous: What On Earth am I Doing?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have had some really great results with Milk of Magnesia (Magnesium Hydroxide) Got it running on a battery charger at 6V and around 4 amps sustained. Had some white build up on top afterwards but absoulutely no brown particulates and took over 2 hours before I noticed low to moderate heat. You should try it.